About The Linehan Artist Scholars Program
The Linehan Artist Scholars Program is a four-year scholarship and mentorship program for talented students who are serious about pursuing their art in a university setting as an arts major at UMBC.
Linehan Artist Scholars:
- Explore ideas about contemporary concepts in the arts in a first-year seminar.
- Live on campus in a Living Learning Community with artists who share your passion.
- Attend performances and visit museums in New York, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C.
- Receive summer research support to study with professional artists across the globe.
The Linehan Artist Scholars Program supports students who distinguish themselves both academically and artistically. The arts departments and Selection Committee evaluate students on academic excellence, audition or portfolio, and achievement in the arts.
Learn more about The Linehan Artist Scholars Program here.
How We Support Our Scholars
The Linehan Artist Scholars Program provides four-year awards, which often cover the greater part of the cost of attendance at UMBC.
Scholarships awarded may be in the amount of:
- $5,000, $10,000, or $15,000 per academic year for in-state students
- $10,000, $15,000, or $22,000 per academic year for out-of-state students
How to Apply
- Apply to UMBC.
- We strongly encourage you to complete your undergraduate admissions package by the Early Action deadline of November 1st, clearly indicating a major in Theatre.
- The Linehan application will require that you have your UMBC Campus ID. Your Campus ID will be sent approximately five to seven business days after you have submitted your Common Application to UMBC. Once you apply, we will communicate with you through your new UMBC email address.
- Reminder: The Linehan Artist Scholars program is open to incoming freshman only.
- Complete the Linehan Artist Scholars application.
- The Linehan Artist Scholars application and all supplemental materials must be received by January 15th.
- Register for UMBC Theatre’s Linehan Audition and Portfolio Review Day.
- The 2024 Linehan Audition and Portfolio Review date for Theatre is Saturday, January 20th, 2024.
- Audition and Portfolio Review Day will be a live, virtual event conducted via Zoom, unless otherwise indicated.
- You can learn about what to prepare for your audition here.
- Please note: If you are completing an acting audition, your Linehan audition counts as your audition for admittance into the BFA Acting program. You do not need to schedule a separate audition. Even if you are not accepted into Linehan, you will still be in consideration for admittance into the BFA Acting program.
- Mid-February 2024: Linehan Artist Scholar candidates will be invited to Scholar Selection Day for final consideration.
- Scholar Selection Day 2024: Saturday, February 24th, 2024
- Mid-March 2024: Linehan Artist Scholar Award decisions will be announced.
2024 Linehan Artist Scholar Theatre Auditions and Portfolio Review Day
The 2024 Linehan Audition and Portfolio Review date for Theatre is Saturday, January 20th, 2024.
For both acting auditions, AND portfolio reviews, please use the BFA Registration Form to sign up, and indicate that you will audition on January 20th. Further instructions will be sent via email.
What can you expect on Theatre’s Linehan Audition/Portfolio Review Day?
- Login information for the Zoom room is sent separately the week of auditions/portfolio reviews. Only those candidates who have completed all application steps (application to UMBC, Linehan application, registered audition/interview) will be sent the link.
- Candidates won’t be scheduled for a specific time. Instead, we ask you to attend the entire session, which usually runs from 12 noon to approximately 3 p.m. Please bring your questions. We want to get to know you, and we want you to get to know us.
- General Information Meeting: At the beginning of the day, there will be a brief general information session about the UMBC Department of Theatre. After the general meeting, auditions and/or portfolio reviews will begin in breakout rooms. While waiting for your audition or portfolio review, you may chat with current Linehan students, ask questions of faculty representatives, or be placed into a “waiting room” to allow you a chance to prepare in private.
- Auditions or Portfolio Reviews: These will be conducted with current UMBC faculty members in breakout rooms. Please carefully review the instructions for each area of study.
- Acting Candidates
- Click here for Linehan acting audition guidelines.
- After the general information session, you’ll do your individual audition over Zoom. Please note that this is a live audition, not pre-recorded.
- Immediately after you present your piece, we’ll conduct a brief interview with you.
- The audition and interview takes about 15 minutes total.
- Linehan applicants who are actors will automatically be evaluated for the BFA Acting program during their Linehan audition, and will not need to conduct an additional interview or audition with the Theatre Department.
- Design, Technical Production, & Stage Management Candidates
- Click here for Linehan portfolio review guidelines.
- Portfolios will be due at least one day prior to review day, so that faculty may have access to your materials for your presentation.
- After the general information session, you will proceed to your individual portfolio review and interview with members of the faculty.
- Your review and interview will last about 15 minutes total.
- Acting Candidates
- Once you complete your audition or interview, you may leave the call.
Contact the Theatre Office at email@example.com.