Students with an interest in Theatre Design and Production will study with faculty who are professionals in the field. Our Proscenium Theatre and Black Box Theatre are supported with the most sophisticated technology labs and equipment. In this track, several areas of design/theatre production are offered, including stage management, scenery, costuming, lighting, and sound. These majors have opportunities to work with faculty and guest designers as assistants, and they serve as designers on student-directed productions. They can also serve as a stage manager, master carpenter, master electrician, props master, draper, crafts person, and stitcher on a range of department productions and student projects.
As a prospective BA Theatre student with an interest in design and production you are not required to have a portfolio review, but talented students who bring prior accomplishments are encouraged to apply for the Linehan Artist Scholarship.
If you have a focus in a particular area of design and you would like to know more about the opportunities within our program, please contact us to be connected with the Faculty Advisor in charge of that area.
In addition to the Design & Production classes, students must also complete the BA Theatre Core Classes (36 Credits).
Design & Production Track Requirements (18)
- THTR 215 Theatre Design II (3)
Two of the following: (6 Credits)
- THTR 332 Design III: Scenery (3)
- THTR 335 Design III: Lighting (3)
- THTR 336 Design III: Costume (3)
- THTR 337 Design III: Sound (3)
Upper Level Electives: (6-7 Credits)
Two of the following:
- THTR 306 Fashion, Culture, Society (3)
- THTR 330 Scene Painting (3)
- THTR 332 Design III: Scenery* (3)
- THTR 335 Design III: Lighting* (3)
- THTR 336 Design III: Costume* (3)
- THTR 337 Design III: Sound* (3)
- THTR 350 Directing I (4)
- THTR 353 Stage Management (3)
- THTR 354 Advanced Technical Production (3)
- THTR 371 Playwriting (3)
- THTR 405 Ensemble II (3)
- THTR 432 Design Seminar (3)*
- THTR 434 Patterning and Draping (3)*
*Courses marked with an asterisk may not be counted in this section as repeated credits.
Production Requirement: (3-9 Credits)
As part of their final four semesters, all students in the Theatre BA, Design & Production Track must complete three semesters of production coursework. These may be fulfilled with any of the following:
- THTR 339 Advanced Production Techniques
- THTR 390 Theatre in Production
- THTR 439 Advanced Design Techniques
- THTR 490 Production Workshop