December 6-8, 2023
- After completing this form, you will be directed to the UMBC Department of Theatre Audition Disclosure Form: Spring 2024.
- After you complete the Audition Disclosure Form, you will then be directed to the Sign Up Sheet.
Who can audition?
- Any UMBC student registered for Spring 2024 is welcome to audition.
- All BFA or BFA-intending students (students who are interested in the BFA) are required to audition.
- Everyone who auditions, regardless of major or track, agrees to “play as cast.” This means that by auditioning you are committing to accepting any role and understudy assignment, and are available for the rehearsal and production schedule. A brief outline of production dates follows in the play information, below.
- Students who wish to request an exception to the casting policy must fill out this form no later than Thursday, November 30 at 5:00pm. Questions about audition policy may be directed to the Department Chair, Eve Muson, at email@example.com.
Wednesday, December 6, from 7:00 – 10:00 pm, Dance Cube
- Please prepare one 90-second non-realism text (big, bold characters in a high-stakes situation), written between 1970 and now.
- Read the script for Slime thoroughly.
- The script is available for check-out in the Theatre Office (PAHB 322). Think hard about the world of the play and what part(s) you would hope to be considered for. Consider audition choices appropriate to that.
Actors will be notified after the general auditions as to when they should arrive at the callback. However, all students should be prepared to attend the callbacks in the meantime; directors are not obliged to accommodate conflicts.
- Slime, Thursday, December 7, 7:00-10:00 pm The Dance Cube
- Any materials needed for the callbacks will be made available in advance and/or at the callbacks. Callbacks will involve movement. Students should wear clothes best suitable for movement.
- Green Theatre Revolution, Friday, December 8, 7:00-10:00 pm The Dance Cube
- Callbacks will involve some improv and acting exercises. Students should wear clothes that are easy to move in.
By Bryony Lavery
Directed by: Nigel Semaj
DUMBO she/her Dance major, ASL-trained signer. Elective mute.
BARB she/her animal language post-graduate[spec.northern marine mammals]
OLA she/her animal language post-graduate[spec.northern sea birds] Activist.
COCO she/her animal behaviour major
FREZZLE he/him animal language post graduate[Spec,Dolphins]
EV he/him Business & IT studies
GOD he/him Dance major , minoring in animal movement
There will be a movement ensemble of three. These performers will play various animals, as well as other non-human elements as needed.
- After casting, actors and understudies will enroll for THTR 390 (3 credits.) Rehearsals meet M-F, 6:30 – 10:00 pm, with extended hours during tech, dress rehearsal and performance weeks.
Rehearsal Schedule: Monday – Friday, 6:30 – 10:00 pm
First Rehearsal: Monday, January 29, 2024
Tech Week Begins: Tuesday, March 26, 2024
Performances: April 4, 5, 11 (brush up), 12, 13 at 8:00pm
April 6, 14 at 2:00pm
Strike: Monday, April 15 through Tuesday, April 16
About the play:
Welcome to the Third Annual Slime Crisis Conference! Seven grad students, all fluent in animal languages, linguistics, and culture, join delegates of almost every species to save life on earth from a toxic slime. As they debate and translate for dolphins, seabirds, and polar bears, they ask, “Who is coming to save us?” The answer might surprise you…
This play includes American Sign Language, invented language, profanity, puppetry, heavy physical and vocal demand, and movement. This play portrays apocalyptic scenarios and circumstances and talks of death. It also includes kissing and embracing. Please note the play references a stylized rape in the last few scenes. This will be cut in our production.
Green Theatre Revolution
Directed by Susan Mccully and Katie Hileman
Black Box Theatre
Check out our FAQs for this show!
- After casting, students will enroll in THTR 405 Ensemble II for 3 credits and THTR 339 for 1 credit.
Rehearsal Schedule: Tuesdays & Thursdays 3:30-5:15 pm & Fridays 1:00-4:00 pm, with extended evening and weekend hours April 25 through May 5.
First Rehearsal: Tuesday, January 30, 2024
Tech Week Begins: April 29, 2024
Performances: May 3, 4 at 8:00 pm; April 4, 5 at 2:00pm
Strike: Monday, May 6, through Wednesday, May 8, 2024
About the play:
UMBC Theatre presents Green Theatre Revolution, directed by Susan McCully and Katie Hileman, a festival of new plays and devised works about climate justice. Performances include the staging of a play by guest playwright Nayantara Nayar, together with short works by student creators. Panels on Sustainable Stage Design, Writing for Climate Justice, and Climate Science Storytelling will accompany the production. A special performance of student works will take place at the Institute of Marine and Environmental Technology in downtown Baltimore.